Where are ICO volunteers from?
ICO receives volunteers between 18-40 years from all over the world. ICO volunteers donate their time and money to contribute to the development of deprived communities by uplifting and building positive communities.
Why choose ICO?
ICO is committed to finding the best projects in Kenya and to ensuring that you have an incredible volunteer experience. ICO staff will help you find a project that suits your personality and skills, and make sure that your trip goes as smoothly as possible, and answer any questions that you have about traveling, projects, or any other concerns that may arise.
Why should I pay to volunteer?
You are not paying for your volunteer work; you are paying for your local accommodation, your meals, airport transfers, and arrangement for the program placement and other arrangements.. Volunteer program fees are what allow our organization to continue helping the community.
Do most volunteers fundraise?
Yes! We know the cost of volunteering abroad can be extremely daunting. There are transportation costs, program fees, visa/vaccinations expenses to consider, and your everyday living costs while you’re away.
The volunteer could also fundraise to support their project.
When do projects start?
ICO projects have specific start dates, but others allow volunteers to start any day year-round. This information can be found on each project page.
How long do projects last?
Our projects last from 1 to 12 months or a year depending on the arrangement. You must indicate the length of stay in your initial application.
What vaccinations do I need?
The only vaccination required for entry into Kenya is Yellow Fever. We urge participants to consult a travel doctor at least two months before arriving in Kenya, to discuss any necessary immunizations and for advice on staying healthy while traveling.
Do I need a passport and visa?
Yes, you need a passport, with an expiration that is no less than 6 months from the time of travel. Visa requirements differ by country, based on the length of time and nationality of the volunteer. We shall provide documentation and support for your visa application.
What is the breakdown of my program fee?
- Accommodation – Accommodation is provided during the course of your project, either with screened host families or on project sites. Meals are included in our program fees and being prepared by host families or project coordinators.
- Transportation – We arrange airport pick-up upon arrival.
- Project Training – While none of our projects require special skills or previous experience, all programs have orientations to help familiarize you with your volunteer work.
- In-Country Support – From the moment you are met at the airport you are part of a team of staff and volunteers at your destination. Our in-country staffs are there to make sure your placement runs smoothly and that you are as effective as you can be during your time with us. They also play an important role in organizing your placement and accommodation before you arrive.
- Project Sponsorship – As stated above, our organization is funded 100% through volunteer program fees. A portion of your program fee will meet the administration cost.